One Rank One Pension (OROP) to the Defence Forces Personnel – MoD Orders
Government of India
Ministry of Defence
Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare
New Delhi Dated 7th Nov 2015
The Chief of the Army Staff
The Chief of the Naval Staff
The Chief of Air Staff
Subject: One Rank One Pension (OROP) to the Defence Forces Personnel
In view of the need of the Defence Forces to maintain physical fitness, efficiency and effectiveness, as per the extant Rules, Defence Service personnel retire at an early age compared to other wings in the Government. Sepoy in Army and equivalent rank in Navy & Air Force retire after 17/19 years of engagement/service and officers retire before attaining the age of 60 years i.e. the normal age of retirement in the Government. Considering these exceptional service conditions and in the interest of ever vigilant Defence Forces, the pensionary benefits of Ex-Servicemen have accordingly, over time, been fixed.
2. It has now been decided to implement “One Rank One Pension” (OROP) for the Ex-Servicemen with effect from 1.07.2014. OROP implies that uniform pension be paid to the Defence Forces Personnel retiring in the same rank with the same length of service, regardless of their date of retirement, which, implies bridging the gap between the rates of pension of current and past pensioners at periodic intervals.
3. Salient features of the OROP are as follows:
i. To begin with, pension of the past pensioners would be re-fixed on the basis of pension of retirees of calendar year 2013 and the benefit will be effective with effect from 1.7.2014.
ii. Pension will be re-fixed for all pensioners on the basis of the average of minimum and maximum pension of personnel retired in 2013 in the same rank and with the same length of service.
iii. Pension for those drawing above the average shall be protected.
iv. Arrears will be paid in four equal half yearly instalments. However, all the family pensioners including those in receipt of Special/Liberalized family pension and Gallantry award winners shall be paid arrears in one instalment.
v. In future, the pension would be re-fixed every 5 years.
4. Personnel who opt to get discharged henceforth on their own request under Rule 13(3)1(i)(b),13(3)1(iv) or Rule 168 of the Army Rule 1954 or equivalent Navy or Air Force Rules will not be entitled to the benefits of OROP. It will be effective prospectively.
5. The Govt. has decided to appoint a Judicial Committee to look into anomalies, if any, arising out of implementation of OROP. The Judicial Committee will submit its report in six months.
6. Detailed instructions relating to implementation of OROP along with tables indicating revised pension for each rank and each category, shall be issued separately for updation of pension and payment of arrears directly by Pension Disbursing Agencies.
7. This issues with concurrence of Finance Division of this Ministry vide their ID No. MoD (Fin/Pension) lD No.PC to10(11)/2012/Fin/Pen dated 07 November 2015.
8. Hindi version will follow.
Joint Secretary to the Govt. of India
Authority : http://www.desw.gov.in/